2019 Scholarship Application
Step 1: Complete the MEC Scholarship Application. In order for the student to be eligible, the application must be completed in its entirety.
Step 2: Compile all documents listed below:
1. MEC Scholarship Application.
2. Copy of most recent MEC electric bill from residence.
3. Copy of preliminary high school or home school transcript.
4. Official copy of Standardized Test Scores (SAT and/or ACT).
5. Personal Statement: Must be a one-page, typed and double-spaced document with your full name in the top right-hand corner. The MEC Scholarship Committee (consisting of current and/or former educators from across MEC’s service territory) will evaluate the statements based on the following criteria: grammar and punctuation, thesis statement/readability, and how compelling your statement is about why you should be selected to receive a scholarship.
6. Two recommendation letters--one from a teacher and one from a community leader.
7. Additional page listing high school and community activities (please include dates of active participation).
Step 3: Submit the application electronically by email to MEC, no later than March 29, 2019, attaching completed application and documents as one PDF file. If unable to submit by email, mail the required documents to:
Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative
% MEC Scholarship Committee
P O Box 2451
Chase City, VA 23924
Please do not staple, paper clip, insert into binders or fold. Seal all documents in one envelope in the sequence listed above and do not send any information separately. Applications must be postmarked no later than midnight, March 29, 2019, or hand-delivered to one of MEC’s district offices no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 29, 2019.
Guidance counselors will be notified of results no later than Friday, April 26, 2019, for inclusion of Senior Awards Ceremony. Students not attending Senior Awards Ceremony will be notified thereafter. If chosen, you will be required to provide a senior photo, your college student ID#, and your acceptance letter from the post-secondary school. Scholarship checks will be sent directly to the college in July of 2019.