Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative (MEC) was recently named by Virginia Business magazine as one of the 2018 Best Places to Work in Virginia. The annual list of the Best Places to Work in Virginia was created by the business publication and the Best Companies Group (BCG).
Their statewide survey and awards program is designed to identify, recognize, and honor the best places of employment in Virginia, benefiting the state’s economy, workforce, and businesses. The 2018 Best Places to Work in Virginia list is made up of 100 companies.
To be considered for participation, companies had to fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a for-profit, not-for-profit business or government entity
- Be a publicly or privately held business
- Have a facility in the state of Virginia
- Have at least 15 employees working in the state of Virginia
- Be in business for a minimum of one year
Companies from across the state entered the two-part survey process to determine the Best Places to Work in Virginia. The first step consisted of evaluating each nominated company’s workplace policies, practices, philosophy, systems, and demographics. This portion of the process established approximately 25 percent of the total evaluation score. The second step consisted of an employee survey to measure the employee experience, and the results of that survey were ranked for the remaining 75 percent of the total evaluation. The combined scores determined the top companies and the final ranking. Best Companies Group managed the overall registration and survey process in Virginia and also analyzed the data and used their expertise in determining the final ranking.
MEC President & CEO John C. Lee, Jr., comments, “It is very gratifying to learn that Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative has been ranked by Best Companies Group as one of the commonwealth’s best employers. As MEC approaches its 80th anniversary . . . next month in fact . . . I see an organization that has continued to grow stronger through the years . . . and one that has been ever vigilant in successfully addressing the needs of its members. Meeting those goals can only be accomplished with outstanding employees; and I congratulate MEC, its Board of Directors, membership, and management for making every effort to do the right thing by the Cooperative’s most valuable asset—its employees. Our employees, in turn, have responded by doing the right thing by our members and making our Cooperative renowned for its great relationship with its membership, its ability to safely get the lights back on after major weather events, and its outstanding customer service.
“I became part of this cooperative 10 years ago, and I cannot adequately express how incredibly proud I am of this recognition . . . and my association with Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative.”
Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative (MEC) is the not-for-profit energy provider to over 31,000 meters located in portions of the Virginia counties of Brunswick, Charlotte, Greensville, Halifax, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Pittsylvania, Southampton, and Sussex and the North Carolina counties of Granville, Person, Northampton, Vance and Warren. It is a Touchstone Energy Cooperative, headquartered in Chase City with district offices in Gretna, Emporia, and Chase City. MEC is an equal opportunity provider and employer. For more information, visit the Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative website.
To view the final rankings and obtain more information Visit the Best Places to Work in Virginia program.