MEC Offers $1,000 Scholarships
To provide educational opportunities through scholarships to the children of cooperative members who are seniors in high school and who plan to further their education by attending an accredited institution of higher learning to obtain a college degree or technical/trade school certification.
Amount of Scholarship
Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative will award 5 $1,000 scholarships annually to graduating seniors who meet the student scholarship criteria and are selected by the scholarship committee.
Student Scholarship Criteria
- The student’s parent or legal guardian must be a member of Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative.
- Student has maintained at least a 3.0 grade point average (based on 4.0 being an “A”) throughout his or her high school career.
- The student has demonstrated good citizenship qualities by having exhibited commendable leadership abilities and exemplary school spirit.
- A combination of weighted criteria will be used in the selection process based on financial need, academic achievement, school and community activities, student’s personal statement, and recommendations.
Applications for 2023-2024 are now available. Deadline to apply is April 1.
2024 Scholarship Application Process
Step 1: Complete the MEC Scholarship Application above. In order for the student to be eligible, the application must be completed in its entirety.
Step 2: Compile ALL documents listed below:
- MEC Scholarship Application.
- Copy of most recent MEC electric bill from residence.
- Copy of preliminary high school or home school transcript.
- Official copy of Standardized Test Scores (SAT and/or ACT), if taken.
- Personal Statement: Must be a one-page, typed and double-spaced document with your full name in the top right-hand corner. The MEC Scholarship Committee (consisting of current and/or former educators from across MEC’s service territory) will evaluate the statements based on the following criteria: grammar and punctuation, thesis statement/readability, and how compelling your statement is about why you should be selected to receive a scholarship.
- Two recommendation letters–one from a teacher and one from a community leader.
- Additional page listing high school and community activities (please include dates of active participation).
Step 3: Submit the application electronically by email to MEC, no later than April 1, 2024, attaching completed application and documents as one PDF file. If unable to submit by email, mail the required documents to:
Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative
% MEC Scholarship Committee
P O Box 2451
Chase City, VA 23924
Please do not staple, paper clip, insert into binders or fold. Seal all documents in one envelope in the sequence listed above and do not send any information separately. Applications must be postmarked no later than midnight, April 1, 2024.
Guidance counselors will be notified of results no later than Friday, April 26, 2024, for inclusion of Senior Awards Ceremony (if permitted). Students not attending Senior Awards Ceremony will be notified directly by MEC. If chosen, you will be required to provide a senior photo, your college student ID#, and your acceptance letter from the post-secondary school. Scholarship checks will be sent directly to the college in July of 2024.